Tuesday, December 15, 2015

My Rant for the Week [Repost]

by Lauren Souther

  This is a repost of a blogpost created during the author's time as a summer intern for the Virginia Holocaust Museum in Richmond on June 14th, 2014. For more about her internship experience at the Museum, visit http://southerlauren.wix.com/internatvaholocaust


Lauren at her internship site in 2014
Ok so I finished my first week as an intern at VHM!  I am excited, yet throughout these first 5 days, I have noticed some things that have been really frustrating. This is not the first time that I have noticed certain "problems."  Let me explain. Like I said before, the Holocaust has always interested me ever since I was 13. Since then, I have noticed some negatives surrounding by passion and career goals. Here is a list of these 5 issues that have really frustrated, and even angered me, over the years.

1.  Why are you doing this to yourself? The Holocaust is so depressing!...
     This one has probably frustrated me the most over the years. I have a B.A. in history. I am going for my Masters in Public History. I have visited Holocaust museums for over a decade. I know about the genocide. For those of you who have asked me this question "Why are you doing this to yourself?"  Don't you think I know that the Holocaust is not a warm and fuzzy subject. That is one of the many reasons why I want to dedicate my life researching it and working to educate people about it. It is an honor and a blessing to be able to intern at the VHM. I feel like I am doing more than just dishing out historical facts; I am actively taking part in educating the public about the horrors of genocide, hopefully, in order to stop another Holocaust from occurring. So, yes, it is depressing, but not as depressing as when I hear people say they do not want to work in a Holocaust Museum because it is a sad subject.

2. Why do you care so much? You are not even Jewish...
      This one is probably equally annoying. Almost everytime that I tell someone that I am interested in Holocaust history, they ask me if I am Jewish. I am not Jewish. Yes, six million Jews died in the Holocaust, but the genocide claimed other non-Jewish victims. Jehovah Witnesses, homosexuals, Roma, Poles, and the handicapped, just to name a couple. The Holocaust, although it had a profound impact in Jewish history, is not all about Jews. Furthermore, I do not care that I am not Jewish. I argue that I do have a personal connection to these victims. I am a human being. The millions who were killed were human beings. Therefore, I feel I have the duty to help tell their story.

3.  Why is there a Holocaust museum in Richmond? That seems random...
     First of all, there are actually numerous Holocaust survivors that immigrated to Richmond or the surrounding areas. Because of that, it would only seem natural for them to want a memorial/museum to tell their stories. If it was up to me, there would be a Holocaust museum in every state, at least one. It is not random. It is an important piece of history that is often overlooked in the classrooms. I do not even remember learning much about it in middle or high school. I did learn about it in museums. Museums are tools that are better than lectures or textbooks.

4. Disrespectful museum visitors...
     Visiting a Holocaust museum is like visiting a cemetery. The museum deserves a certain amount of dignity and respect. If you think you can not be respectful, do not visit. Do not bring young kids who you know are going to be too loud. The VHM, as well as other museums like it, is a solemn place. You go there to learn and pay respect to those who have perished. It amazes me how so many people, especially adults, do not understand this.

5. Indifferent museum staff...
   I understand that most people are not going to be as passionate as me about the Holocaust, even museum workers who work at these museums. That's ok. That's not what annoys me. I remember sitting in on a lecture given by a young college grad who just finished interning at a Holocaust museum. I will not say which one. She was shocked to see some staff members who appeared to be indifferent about the genocide, and just simply not interested in the subject. Here was this girl so interested in getting a job at this museum, and I can only imagine her frustration. Luckily, all of the workers I have met so far at VHM seem passionate about the subject matter. Passion, to me, is important in every job.

Blogger Bio:

Lauren graduated from our Public History program with distinction in May, 2015.  She has had a few internship and work experiences since graduation. Currently, she is serving as an Americorps fellow at the North House Museum AFHA in West Virginia. Lauren is passionate about the education of Holocaust History. Besides connecting with us, she wants to use this post to expound on what it means to work in a Holocaust museum. 
https://ssl.gstatic.com/ui/v1/icons/mail/images/cleardot.gif


No comments: